Welcome to the Suffolk Recycling Centres booking page
Find out how to book a time slot online for one of the Recycling Centres in Suffolk as part of a phased re-opening.
Phased re-opening of Recycling Centres
Suffolk Recycling Centres re-opened on Thursday 14 May following closure due to coronavirus (COVID-19), in line with government guidelines regarding social distancing.
You will need to book a time slot to use your local Recycling Centre.
The booking system :
- reduces the waiting times of visitors to each Recycling Centre
- helps manage traffic to avoid a dangerous build-up of vehicles on the roads
- allows site users to plan ahead and visit at an agreed time without having to queue
We are now entering phase 3, where most vehicles, apart from vans with trailers will be allowed access to site, including those bringing trade waste. All visitors to sites need to book. Bookings can be made up to 7 days in advance, and once a time slot has reached booking capacity it is no longer available to book. Please do not come to a Recycling Centre without a booking.
- has tested positive for COVID-19 within the last 14 days
- has COVID-19 symptoms
- if you are shielding or at greatest risk from COVID 19
How booking a time slot works
Suffolk Recycling Centres are open from 9am to 5pm every day except Thursdays (open until 7pm) and Wednesdays (closed).
To book a slot you will need to tell us whether you are bringing waste from your own household or from a business, which sort of vehicle you are arriving in or whether you are a pedestrian or cyclist.
Please do not arrive more than 5 minutes before the start of your scheduled time slot. We will try to ensure you enter the site at your designated time, however please be aware some sites are required to temporarily close to empty containers.
You can only make one booking for a Recycling Centre per household or business in any 7 day period. This is to allow as many visitors to sites as possible, whilst maintaining social distancing and protecting the health and safety of site staff and users.
We reserve the right to cancel any multiple bookings made in a 7 day period.
What are the rules at Recycling Centres?
- arrive in the vehicle you registered when booking (if driving).
- wash your hands before and after your visit (and wear gloves if possible)
- stay in your vehicle until you've parked (including passengers)
- unload the vehicle yourself as staff cannot assist you (only one adult should unload the car, unless two adults are needed for heavy items)
- ensure any COVID-19 waste is left at home for 72 hours (3 days) before double-bagging and bringing to site
- follow social distancing rules to protect the health of staff and visitors.
Before you book
Please be aware that until further notice:
- only pre-booked vehicles are permitted on site
- Vans with trailers will not be allowed on any site
- Business waste, vans (including car derived vans) and cars with trailers will not be accepted at Haverhill or Leiston and will have to use neighbouring sites
- Trailers must be no more than 750kg max gross weight, single axle and unbraked. No other trailer size or type is permitted.
Proceed to book a time slot
Please select from the options below regarding the types of waste and vehicle you will be bringing to site, so we can direct you to the correct booking form. Pedestrians and cyclists should select the 'car only' option.
Answers to queries about phased re-opening:
If you're self-isolating you must place all personal waste (for example used tissues and disposable cleaning cloths) securely in a plastic bag or bin liner, then double bag it and store it for at least 72 hours (3 days) before placing it in general rubbish or bringing it to a Recycling Centre.
You must follow this guidance whether you are self-isolating as a precaution or if you've tested positive for (COVID 19).
You can bring your garden waste to a Recycling Centre if it can not be safely stored at home.
Garden waste collections will be re-instated across Suffolk over the next few weeks – please check with your local area for more information https://www.suffolkrecycling.org.uk/my-bins/what-can-i-put-in-my-composting-bin.
You can find top tips for managing your garden waste in the meantime.
Find out more about home compost bin offers.
The number of people accessing the sites at any one time will be restricted to maintain social distancing on site and protect the health of staff and the public.
The booking system will also help reduce the waiting times of visitors to site and help manage traffic, to avoid a dangerous build-up of cars on the highway.
PLEASE DO NOT COME TO SITE WITHOUT A BOOKING
- can amend or cancel your booking up to 12 hours before your allocated time the day before your booking.
- cannot make any changes or cancel your booking on the day of your booking.
To amend or cancel your booking:
- Go to your original email confirmation
- Scroll to the bottom of the email
- Click on the 'Manage booking' button
- From this you can either cancel or reschedule your booking. You can use the 'reschedule' button to change your vehicle registration details or book a new slot.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any problems amending or cancelling your booking or do not have your original email confirmation. We can amend this for you (but not on the day of your booking).
When you book you will enter the registration number of your vehicle. This will be your ID when you visit site, so you must come in the vehicle you registered.
Pedestrian visitors and cyclists will also have to use booking system and the booking will be in your name.
Initially the booking slots will be released for a week, then afterwards on a daily basis.
You may need to try several times to get a booking. We understand that this may be frustrating, but we're hoping that after a few weeks the initial demand will begin to reduce.
If you're unable to book a time slot online, please do not phone Customer Service to see if additional slots are available. The only time slots available will be shown on the public booking system.
Yes – as long as they have pre-booked through the online booking system.
Visits are restricted to one visit per household or business per 7 day period. This is to allow as many households and traders as possible to visit the sites , as visitor numbers are restricted to protect the health and safety of site staff and users.
We reserve the right to cancel any multiple bookings made in a 7 day period.
Please do not come to site more that 5 minutes before your time slot. This will help to reduce congestion on the highways.
Cars should unload within ten minutes if possible. Your booked 15 minute slot will allow for time to get in, parked and back out again.
Vans (including car derived vans), trailers and trade waste should unload within 25 mins. Your booked 30 minute slot will allow for time to enter and leave the site.
There will be many signs on site to remind people to keep 2 metres apart.
Vehicles will park in alternate bays.
Only one person (or two people from the same household, if needed to carry something heavy) will be allowed out of their vehicle to access containers at any one time.
We ask visitors to be courteous of staff and other users to maintain social distancing. Please wash your hands before and after visiting, and wear gloves when on site.
All vehicles apart from larger trailers and vans with trailers are now allowed back on most sites.
The number of people accessing the sites at any one time is restricted in order to maintain social distancing on site to protect the health of staff and the public.
Vans (including car derived vans) and any vehicle with a trailer are not able to access Haverhill and Leiston, as these sites are too small to allow extra time for these vehicles to unload.
Trailers must be no more than 750kg max gross weight, single axle and unbraked. No other trailer size or type is permitted.
A vehicle that has rear seats and back windows and whose prime purpose is to carry passengers, is classed as a car. This includes camper vans and twin pick-ups, but does not include car derived vans.
All other vehicles are classed as vans and/or commercial vehicles. E.g. a single cab pick-up is classed as a van/commercial vehicle
Car derived vans will need to book as a van rather than a car. Car derived vans, vans and trailers are not accepted at Haverhill or Leiston and you will need to book a slot at your next nearest site. For Haverhill use Sudbury or Bury St Edmunds, and for Leiston use Foxhall or Lowestoft.
Vans with trailers will not be allowed to come to sites at present whilst social distancing measures are in place.
All sites, except Haverhill and Leiston, are now accepting trade waste. You will need to declare that you are bringing trade waste to site when you make a booking.
Please be aware that it is an offence under section 33 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 to deposit and transport trade/ business waste at Recycling Centres, without registering with the Environment Agency as a waste carrier and paying for disposal.
To get a more cost effective price you should separate your waste for recycling before going to site (e.g. into garden waste, wood, electricals etc).
For our trade waste prices and information please visit our Trade Waste webpage (note this link will open in a new tab).
If you are bringing chargeable household DIY waste to site, please let site staff know when you arrive and they will assess how much you have to pay. Payment will be made through a kiosk to maintain social distancing. Contactless card payment only. No trade waste is accepted on site at this time.
Plasterboard is only accepted at 4 Recycling Centres; Bury, Foxhall, Lowestoft and Stowmarket
Recycling Centres has been open since Thursday 14th May.
Normal opening hours apply – but you have to pre-book a time before you visit.
Sites open six days a week 9-5, late night Thursdays to 7pm (until end August).
All sites are closed on Wednesdays
You can take the same materials as usual. See full list of materials accepted on our Recycling Centre rules & charges page.
Please sort your waste to speed up your visit and practise social distancing when moving between containers. Please also observe the waiting signs when accessing containers.
Foxhall Re-use Shop is opening on the 15th June (currently the Bury re-use shop remains shut). All Suffolk Recycling Centres are also now accepting items for re-use (in the orange containers on sites).
There are a number of changes in place, including temporary amends to the opening times, and some measures imposed to make sure that staff and members of the public follow national guidelines. These include:
- The Foxhall shop will be open 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday
- A number of measures will be in place for the safety of yourselves and our staff:
- Numbers of people allowed within the shop will be limited
- 2 metre social distancing must be maintained
- A one-way system will be in place
- Hand sanitising facilities will be available
- Payment by card is encouraged
- We will not be accepting direct donations at the current time as items will be subject to a period of quarantine, in line with guidelines, prior to being sold in the shop.
- You must book an appointment to visit the Recycling Centre to drop off items for Re-use and recycling
- You can visit the Foxhall Re-use Shop without a booking, however you will not be able to access the recycling centre and must park in the shop car park.
Charities and schools please contact us in the usual way via email@example.com with details of the recycling they wish to bring to site.
Compost will be available for sale on site. Please let site staff know and contactless card payment will be available at the kiosk.
Thankfully, reports of such incidents in Suffolk have been relatively low but we are closely monitoring the situation.
With sites now open, we should not see any increase in fly-tipping. We would remind people that fly-tipping is a criminal offence that can result in prosecution.
If you're waiting for a booked time slot for your visit, please hold on to your waste until a slot becomes available.
You can find out how to report fly-tipping on our Suffolk Recycling website.