Recycling centre rules and charges
Read the site rules, find out what you can and can't bring, and see charges for plasterboard and hardcore, rubble and soil.
- Sites are open 6 days a week (closed Wednesdays). See our opening times.
- Sort your waste before you arrive at the site.
- Place your waste into the correct container.
- Park within the designated bays.
- Speed limit is 5 mph.
- Use the handrails on stairs and never lean or climb into the container.
- Use trolleys available on site for heavy items. Ask site staff for assistance.
- Keep children and pets inside your vehicle.
- Do not smoke on site.
- Report any hazards to site staff immediately.
- Aggressive behaviours will not be tolerated and you may be asked to leave or banned.
- Members of the public must not remove any items from any of the containers at any of the Recycling Centres, however items from the Recycling Centre can be bought from our re-use shops in Foxhall or Bury because they have been assessed and the electrical items have been PAT tested before being sold.
Vans are allowed to tip at the recycling centres (there are currently no height barriers or permits needed):
- As long as the waste is from your own home you can bring a van onto site and dispose of the waste for free. You may however be asked by a member of staff to sign a form stating that your waste is not from a trade or business source.
- If you are a trader, you can bring a van onto site, however you will have to pay to dispose of your waste. Find out the charges and the paperwork needed on our business and trade waste page.
What can I bring?
- Empty aerosol cans
- Car batteries
- Cooking oil
- Flat glass
- Garden waste
- Gas bottles
- Glass bottles and jars
- Hard plastics
- Hardcore, rubble and soil (Charges apply)
- Large electrical appliances
- Light bulbs
- Mobile phones
- Plasterboard (Lowestoft, Foxhall, Stowmarket and Bury St Edmunds only - Charges apply)
- Plastic bottles, tubs and food trays
- Printer cartridges
- Small electrical appliances
- Tassimo & L'OR coffee pods (incl. all Tassimo & L'OR plastic packaging)
- TVs and monitors
- Wood and timber
Non-recyclable waste, such as mattresses and furniture, are also accepted for disposal (apart from materials mentioned in the dropdown below)
We do not accept the following items at recycling centres. Search the A to Z of recycling for advice about alternative disposal options:
- Hazardous or clinical waste such as chemicals, asbestos, explosives, or needles
- Cat or dog faeces (pet waste is only accepted from vegetarian animals, up to maximum one manageable bin liner per week. Excess vegetarian pet waste must be paid for.)
- Paint (Only empty and dried tins are accepted.)
- Tyres and car parts
Household waste from your own home is accepted free of charge. Charges apply to any waste arisen as a result of business or trade activity.
Hardcore, rubble, soil and plasterboard are not classified as household waste and therefore a charge is payable.
You can only pay by card, not cash. Rates determined by site staff are non-negotiable, there are 25L containers on site that site staff can use as a comparison to charge appropriately.
Hardcore, rubble and soil
|Volume||Charge (including VAT)|
|Up to ten (25 litre) bags or equivalent||£2 per 25 litres (minimum charge £2)|
|Over ten (25 litre) bags or equivalent||£2.50 per 25 litres|
|Half transit van or equivalent||£25|
|Full transit van or equivalent||£50|
|Double wheeled van or equivalent||£100|
Plasterboard can only be taken to Lowestoft, Foxhall, Stowmarket and Bury St Edmunds only
|Volume||Charge (including VAT)|
|Up to 3 sheets or equivalent||£2.50 per sheet|
|4 to 8 sheets or equivalent||£5 per sheet|
|Half transit van or equivalent||£50|
|Full transit van or equivalent||£100|
|Double wheeled van or equivalent||£200|
Single item charges
|Item||Charge (including VAT)|
|Small shower tray||£2|
|Large shower tray||£4|
The above prices apply to ceramic items. If you have plastic or glass bathroom items, you can take these to the recycling centres and dispose of these for free.
Minimum £2 charge regardless of size. Other items charge at the discretion of site staff based on estimated volume.